The BMLT programme at ISBAT University is a highly researched and structured program in consultation with the industry experts and other relevant stakeholders with a view to providing students with a broad and balanced foundation of medical laboratory technologies and practical skills in performing clinical laboratory services effectively.
Medical Laboratory Technology is concerned with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases using effective and relevant clinical laboratory tests. Medical lab technology plays an important role in the detection and treatment of many diseases. The program trains students to perform various tests in the fields of Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology and Blood banking. As vital members of health care team, they assist Physicians during the diagnosis and treatment of patients. The syllabus is relevant to the dynamically changing needs of the health sector.
The graduates of BMLT from ISBAT University will be equipped with thorough knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes to occupy key positions, and to undertake research activities in key operational areas of the clinical laboratory sector.
- Apply knowledge and technical skills associated with medical laboratory technology for delivering quality clinical investigations support.
- Perform routine clinical laboratory procedures within acceptable quality control parameters in hematology, biochemistry, immunohematology and microbiology.
- Demonstrate technical skills, social behavior and professional awareness for functioning effectively as a laboratory technician.
- Apply problem solving techniques in identification and correction of pre analytical, post analytical & analytical variables.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipments utilizing appropriate quality control and safety procedures.
- Recognize the impact of laboratory tests in a global and environmental context.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written and graphical means.
- Function as a leader / team member in diverse professional and industrial research areas.
- Apply the fundamentals of research process to complete and present research studies that enrich the field of laboratory medicine.
- Function in an ethical and professional manner without bias against any ethnicity, race, religion, caste or gender.
- Practice professional and ethical responsibilities with high degree of credibility, integrity and social concern.
The minimum entry requirements for admission to a Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology —
(i) Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) with 5 credits; AND
(ii) Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent with at least two Principal Passes, one Principal Pass being in any of the science subjects (Biology, Chemistry).