The increasing burden of disease and cost of health care globally and especially in developing countries poses a great challenge to the quality of life and survival of populations, and yet most of the diseases could be prevented in the communities and individual through the application of appropriate public health strategies. Public health knowledge, skills and competences are therefore key in improving the quality and life of persons.
However, whereas currently there is re awakening of the need for preventive interventions as opposed to curative care, there is a critical shortage of public health experts especially in developing countries despite the growing population and disease burden. This program is then intended to equip not only the medical workers but all persons interested in public health with knowledge, skills that are appropriate for prevention and maintenance of good quality of life
- On completion of this postgraduate programme, participants will be able to demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of theory and practice in the core public health disciplines of epidemiology, biostatistics, environmental health, social and behavioral sciences
- Our learners will also be equipped with key competencies and skills that will enable them to identify and assess public health problems in “developing” countries and evaluate policies and programmes designed to improve public health in communities. This includes leadership and analytic skills, financial planning and management skills, communication skills and cultural competency.
- Inform, educate, and empower communities about health issues and engage critically with current public health issues and debates;
- Think in a critical, reflective way and to take effective action in addressing priority public health problems and provide strategic direction to the development of health policies and services;
- Design, develop and implement community empowerment projects with specific leadership capacity to mobilize community participation with regard to health problems.
- Evaluate health services and programmes, and institute changes required to improve their functioning.
- Conceptualize, plan and conduct advanced research in Public health and critically evaluate published studies on public health problems.
- Collaborate with other health professionals on public health issues providing consultancy services where appropriate
- Integrate previous professional and academic experience with new information and developments in the practical and academic field of public health.
- Provide leadership within a public health role and act as a change agent in the ever-changing public health environment.